Monday, April 4, 2011

Pork and Green Chiles Casserole

Sometimes (who am I kidding? all the time) I feel overwhelmed by the massive quanity of recipe sources out there. I am constantly printing them from the internet from blogs or recipe sites, tearing them out from magazines, or the least frequent, actually reading a cook book! We have a lot of great cook books and this week I decided to do my whole menu based on recipes in the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. So Sunday afternoon, I scoured the book for the recipes I wanted to try, made, my list and headed to the grocery store. Here is the first recipe that I made, Pork and Green Chiles Casserole. It is made with ground pork, which I never have bought, but will again in the future. It was actually really cheap! This recipe was super easy and quick and really tasty!


I know the picture does not look that great, but I promise it was tasty! Here is the recipe.

Pork and Green Chiles Casserole
Prep: 15 minutes    Bake: 375*F
Stand: 5 minutes    Makes: 6 servings

Ingredients:
1 lb gound pork
1 15 oz can pinto beans or black beans, rinsed and drained (we used black)
1 10.75 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups bottle salsa (we used Joe T's hot salsa - gave it some kick!)
1 4 oz can diced green chile peppers, drained
1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese with jalepeno peppers (2 oz)

1. In a large skillet cook pork until no pink remains; drain.  Stir in bean, soup, salsa, chile peppers, rice, water, and cumin. Heat and stir just until bubbly.  Pour in a 2-quart casserole.

2. Bake, uncovered, in a 375*F oven for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are bubbly. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand for 5 minutes until cheese melts.

Oh look here I found the actual recipe on the BHG website: Pork and Green Chiles Casserole

Hope you enjoy it if you try it!

No comments: